Friday, August 13, 2010

Pitiful Praise Practices Persist


Just a personal note...

I'm aware how often my prayers are "ask" and then perhaps "thank". My companion Paul was great at the "praise". And I'd like to be better. I wrote about it often enough in the Gospel, and even in the Acts of the Apostles in a variety of places. But for some reason praising God comes harder.

I've noticed it also in the prayers of the church in the worship services I've attended. Lots of asking, and thanking... little praising.

Any suggestions for how to 'raise the praise'? God certainly deserves it! One guy I ran across told me he has started the habit of doing the praising first. And he said it felt a bit awkward, but he persisted. Praise, praise, praise. It puts us in the right perspective when we praise first. Someone else said we praise God for who he is and we thank God for what he does.

"Praise to you God. There is no one like you!"

Which reminds me that songs can be a great way to praise. A great way in worship to focus on praising God too.

Herb Brokering was a great friend of Wheat Ridge and a great hymn writer. Check out some of his writings and hymns.

No comments:

Post a Comment